Saturday, January 23, 2010

Gut Check



It's time for a gut check--both literally and figuratively. Way back in September I decided I was going to attempt a Sprint distance triathlon. I started out walking a mile loop around my apartment. Here it is, four months later and I have about four months to go until I compete in my first triathlon on May 23rd. So it's time to see where things stand.
As stated, I started my training with walking. Just walking. Now I am jogging twice a week with my long jog at 4 miles and my short jog at 2.9 miles.
I started swimming in October. Check that. I started flailing in the pool in October. Now my swim workouts consist of some kick sets and a slow and steady 1,000 yards.
Some time in December I began to throw in some time on the YMCA stationary bike. Today I rode a little over 10 miles outside on my new road bike. (See the following post.)
When you put this all together, I think I'll be ready for my race in May! I'm able to do all the required distances (and more) when I do them by themselves. Today, after my bike, I didn't really feel like jumping off and running a 5K, so that says I certainly need more improvement. But I believe that if necessary, I could finish a Sprint triathlon today. I would hurt, that's for sure. But I could do it.
In other good news, I've managed to lose 15 pounds since I started training. That's not incredible progress, but it is progress! Talk about your literal gut check.
So there you have it. My mid-training gut check.

5 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You will be ready, stay the course. FOllow the plan and trust it. You already can do the distance, now work on improving from there. Remember the race is the reward for all the hard work you put in. Keep that in mind. The training is the hard part.

Unknown said...

Great job - keep at it and stay strong!

Jennifer said...

You are doing a great job with your training, keep up with it and you will do great. BTW that is a frightening picture you posted!

Julie said...

Looking forward to following your adventures! I'm not that far removed from where you are now and remember the feeling well. I can't wait to read about your feeling your feelings of accomplishment after you complete your first tri!

Joel said...

Skip...just found your blog, and the gut-check picture cracked me up! Good luck with your training. You've got a new follower.