Monday, November 16, 2009

Progress



It seems appropriate for a quick update on training progress. Triathlons are always swim, bike, run, so I'll update in this order.

Swim:
I have set my goal at completing 20 laps at the local Y without stopping. It's a 25 yard pool so the total yardage goal is 1,000. Since my first day I've been swimming the full 20 laps, but the amount I've needed to stop has decreased. I've been consistently adding 2 laps to my total before stopping. Just this morning I did 12 laps, took a short break and finished with 8 laps. I'm concentrating on a few things to help me reach my goal of 20 non-stop laps. First, I'm watching my pace. Unfortunately I have to swim somewhat slowly to make sure I don't start gasping for air. On my form I have gotten much better at keeping my head in the water as I rotate to breathe. I am also concentrating on using my legs more. I'm trying to kick consistently rather than leaving that as an afterthought. If I go too fast and my breath gets uncomfortably short, my form starts falling apart. I need to become more comfortable breathing hard in the water, though I do huff and puff quite a bit during my short break.

Bike:
Very exciting times ahead. Rather than spoil the surprise now by giving out a few hints, I believe I'll keep this one on the down low for now.

Run:
I have been jog-walking my 2.9 mile loop. I believe my cardio is ready for the distance, but I find I still have to hold back from jogging the entire route in order to guard against injury. When I jogged it recently I jogged quite a bit more of it than the previous time. My cardio felt good and I almost jogged the entire loop--BUT--a muscle/tendon on my lower right leg paid the price. It was extra tight and sore for a few days. Luckily most of it had worked itself out by my next scheduled jog, but it was a vivid reminder not to increase too much too fast. Regardless, my run, the most painful part of my training, is slowly progressing as I slowly push myself. I intend to stay with my current run loop through December so as not to push myself toward injury by increasing too fast.

And that, folks, is that.

No comments: