Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Goals and Such



M'kay, so maybe I'm a little out of shape. I've had a few, tough setbacks, ok? Geesh, everybody else has their excuses, so I'm entitled to mine too, right?

Well no more. It's time to start eliminating excuses. And it's time to start setting some goals. Sure, I've had goals in the past; problem is that they were too vauge. I want to be able to mountain bike up this hill faster--or--I want to be able to lift heavier weights. Speaking of weights, I've had goals to reduce my weight, too. But I think I need to redefine how I fight that battle. Instead of having a weight loss goal and eating right and exercising to accomplish it, it's time to have a exercise and eating right goal and let the weight do what it does when you get those two things right.

So what's my goal? It's in the works, but so far I know I'm going to run a triathlon. Lofty goal, huh? Well, for those of you not familiar with triathlon, let me inform you that I intend to do a 'sprint' tri. That's a swin around 800 yards, something like a 12-ish mile bike and, finally, a run close to a 5k. My goal will be simply to finish the first tri I try.

Right now the triathlon season is almost over. Which is good. I need the winter season to train. I'm hoping to find a race in the spring to cut my teeth on.

Meanwhile I've started to train on running; well, what will eventually be running. Now it's mostly walking with a little jogging. Two very important mental concepts to carry forward in this endeavor is to not bite off more than I can chew too soon, and to remain very patient. Maybe that's just one concept. You get the point.

So that's one concrete goal. It will become more concrete as 2010 race dates are scheduled!

No comments: